Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] DOMCTL_memattrs_op : a new DOMCTL to play with stage-2 page attributes

> Hi Stefano,
>
> Added Julien and removed those who are mistakenly Cc'ed    :-)
> will never try to draft emails half asleep again.

>> On Sat, 1 Jul 2017, Zhongze Liu wrote:
>>> ********************************************************************************
>>>    DOMCTL_memattrs_op : a new DOMCTL to play with stage-2 page attributes
>>>
>>>                                               Zhongze Liu
>>> <blackskygg@xxxxxxxxx>
>>>
>>> ********************************************************************************
>>>   Motivation and Description
>>>   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>> During the dicussion about the proposal "allow setting up shared memory
>>> areas
>>> between VMs from xl config file" (see [1]), it's getting clear that when we
>>> setup shared memory areas for VM communications from xl config file, we
>>> would
>>> appreciate the ability to control the permissions and some attributes of the
>>> shared memory pages: in the simplest the cases, regular cacheable RAM with
>>> read
>>                                       ^ of
>>
>>> write permissions will be enough (For ARM, it would be p2m_ram_rw and
>>> MATTR_MEM,
>>> LPAE_SH_INNER). But there are also complicated cases where we might need
> [...]
>> ARM and XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_SUC means "UNCACHED", because that's
>> actually what they correspond to I think. However using x86 names for
>> ARM caching attributes is very confusing and error prone. So I would
>> prefer introducing separate tags for ARM and x86. However, reusing
>> XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_UC, XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_CACHE_WT and
>> XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_CACHE_WB as Zhongze did in this proposal would be OK
>> for me.
>>
>> Julien, what do you think?
>>

> sorry for missing the 'write-allocate' flag for ARM. I agree with you
> in adding some
> ARM-only flags, coz using x86 terminologies does look confusing. But
> let's hear what other
> maintainers say.
>

>>> /* shareability flags (See [5]), arm only, the value is taken from
>>>  * asm-arm/page.h, but live in the second 8-bit.
>>>  */
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_SHAREABILITY_SHIFT 8
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_SH_NON_SHAREABLE (LPAE_SH_NON_SHAREABLE<<8)
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_SH_UNPREDICTALE  (LPAE_SH_UNPREDICTALE<<8)
>>
>> We don't need UNPREDICTALE as a possible value :-)
>>

> Will remove this.
>

>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_SH_OUTER         (LPAE_SH_OUTER<<8)
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_SH_INNER         (LPAE_SH_INNER<<8)
>>>
>>> /* flags for XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_OP_SET_PERMISSIONS */
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_N         0x00U
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_R         (0x01U<<0)
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_W         (0x01U<<1)
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_X         (0x01U<<2)
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_RW        \
>>> (XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_R|XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_W)
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_RX        \
>>> (XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_R|XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_X)
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_WX        \
>>> (XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_W|XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_X)
>>> #define XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_RWX        \
>>> (XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_RW|XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_ACCESS_X)
>>>
>>> struct xen_domctl_memattrs_op {
>>>   int op;                 /* IN XEN_DOMCTL_MEMATTRS_OP_* */
>>
>> uint32_t: we only use explicitly sized integers in hypercalls
>>

> Ok, I'll make it an uint32_t.
>

>>>   xen_pfn_t first_gfn;    /* IN first page in range */
>>>   uint32_t nr_gfns;       /* IN number of pages in range */
>>>
>>>   XEN_GUEST_HANDLE(uint32_t) attrs;  /* IN/OUT per-page attrs */
>>
>> XEN_GUEST_HANDLE is used for pointers in struct (typically for arrays).
>> In this case, I don't think we need a pointer, we could just have a
>> single uint32_t to specify the permissions and attributes for all the
>> pages in the range.
>>

> I'm not sure about this.
> I think using an array here and below will make the hypercall more flexible --
> similar to XENMEM_add_to_physmap_batch.
> But according to our needs, using one attr parameter for the whole range
> actually makes the whole thing more handy.

But given that the hypercall also supports the *_GET_* operations,
using an array here seems to be more reasonable.

Cheers,

Zhongze Liu