Re: [Xen-devel] Xen Community Call 21/06/17 meeting minutes

On 05.07.17 16:59, Julien Grall wrote:
We need someone to take the "owernership" of the board. This means testing Xen during RC and helping user who wans to boot Xen on R-Car.
Our team can take this ownership.

Furthermore, the current wiki page for R-Car does not provide runes to build Xen upstream. It only provides an Yocto layer based with compile a patched Xen.
AFAIK current upstream do not need any of those patch to run on R-Car Gen3 based board. Even early console patch is non-essential.

Don't get me wrong, I am perfectly happy to use Yocto.
I would explain a need to build with Yocto by the fact that Renesas provides its BSP as Yocto. And BSP needs some changes to get XEN running.

But it should not build a Xen with non-upstream patches containing security flaw (see [3]).
The security flaw (not trapping SMC by hypervisor) is introduced in order to get system with OP-TEE (which is a part of Renesas BSP) functional. But the right way would be disabling OP-TEE in BSP+XEN build until SMC handling done by Volodymyr Babchuk is upstreamed.

Can one of you update the wiki page with the last Xen upstream and write down what is really missing in the hypervisor.
Our preliminary plan is to prepare another distilled yocto layer which would introduce minimal required changes to BSP only and update the wiki page appropriately.
Will it work for you?

[3] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2016-11/msg01955.html

--

*Andrii Anisov*