Re: [Xen-devel] GPU passthrough on ARM

Hi

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 2:41 AM, Martin Kelly <mkelly@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/26/2018 10:13 AM, Oleksandr Tyshchenko wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Martin
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 8:05 PM, Oleksandr Tyshchenko
>> <olekstysh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Hi, Julien.
>>>
>>> OK, thank you, I will try to provide some pointers.

>> I assume the H3 SoC version you are using is ES2.0, because of
>> r8a7795.dtsi.
>>
>> BTW, what BSP version are you using? I am wondering what is your use-case?
>> If you want to keep GPU in some dedicated domain without no hardware
>> at all, you have to use something like PV DRM frontend running here
>> and PV DRM backend in the hardware/driver domain.
>> The things are going to be much simple if you pass through all
>> required display sub-components as well, for the "rcar-du" DRM to be
>> functional.
>> Which way are you looking for?
>

> My BSP and kernel version is flexible, and I'd be happy to use whatever
> works best. The use-case is using OpenCL inside a VM for high-performance
> GPGPU.
Sounds indeed interesting.

> This means that performance is critical, and I would go with whatever
> solution offers the best performance.
Oh, I see.

> [...]
>>
>> 2.1. You have to add following to the domain 0 device tree:
>>
>> There is no magic here. This is just to enable corresponding IPMMUs,
>> hooked up GPU to them and notify Xen
>> that device is going to be pass throughed.
>>
>> &gsx {
>>      xen,passthrough;
>>
>>      iommus = <&ipmmu_pv0 0>, <&ipmmu_pv0 1>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv0 2>, <&ipmmu_pv0 3>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv0 4>, <&ipmmu_pv0 5>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv0 6>, <&ipmmu_pv0 7>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv1 0>, <&ipmmu_pv1 1>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv1 2>, <&ipmmu_pv1 3>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv1 4>, <&ipmmu_pv1 5>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv1 6>, <&ipmmu_pv1 7>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv2 0>, <&ipmmu_pv2 1>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv2 2>, <&ipmmu_pv2 3>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv2 4>, <&ipmmu_pv2 5>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv2 6>, <&ipmmu_pv2 7>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv3 0>, <&ipmmu_pv3 1>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv3 2>, <&ipmmu_pv3 3>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv3 4>, <&ipmmu_pv3 5>,
>>      <&ipmmu_pv3 6>, <&ipmmu_pv3 7>;
>> };
>>
>>   &ipmmu_pv0 {
>>       status = "okay";
>>   };
>>
>>   &ipmmu_pv1 {
>>       status = "okay";
>>   };
>>
>>   &ipmmu_pv2 {
>>       status = "okay";
>>   };
>>
>>   &ipmmu_pv3 {
>>       status = "okay";
>>   };
>>
>>   &ipmmu_mm {
>>       status = "okay";
>>   };
>>
>> 2.2. You have to add following to the guest config file:
>>
>> I might mistake here, please use existing documentation to see how a
>> guest config file
>> should be properly modified. For example
>> https://events.static.linuxfound.org/sites/events/files/slides/talk_5.pdf
>>
>> dtdev = [ "/soc/gsx@fd000000" ]
>>
>> irqs = [ 151 ]
>>
>> iomem = [ "fd000,40" ]
>>
>> device_tree = "domU.dtb" <- This is the guest partial device tree.
>>
>> 2.3 Actually the guest partial device tree I have used is:
>>
>> /dts-v1/;
>>
>> #include <dt-bindings/interrupt-controller/arm-gic.h>
>>
>> / {
>>      #address-cells = <2>;
>>      #size-cells = <2>;
>>
>>      passthrough {
>>          compatible = "simple-bus";
>>          ranges;
>>
>>          #address-cells = <2>;
>>          #size-cells = <2>;
>>
>>          gsx: gsx@fd000000 {
>>              compatible = "renesas,gsx";
>>              reg = <0 0xfd000000 0 0x3ffff>;
>>              interrupts = <GIC_SPI 119 IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH>;
>>              /*clocks = <&cpg CPG_MOD 112>;*/
>>              /*power-domains = <&sysc R8A7795_PD_3DG_E>;*/
>>          };
>>      };
>> };
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>

> Yes, this is certainly very helpful, thank you.
>
> Just to verify, it sounds like this would be HVM mode with the passthrough
> being transparent to the guest; is that correct?
I am not sure that understood your question.

> Also, do you know if it would be possible to share the GPU across multiple
> VMs, or would it be exclusive to a VM?
> I'm not sure whether the IOMMU
> supports this, or whether the DRM driver supports it.

Xen assigns all devices to domain 0 (privileged domain) by default.
With passthrough feature you can assign device to another VM, and it
will be exclusive to that VM only.

It is possible to share the GPU across multiple VMs, but it is yet
another technique than passthrough.
We have a solution to do so, but it hasn't gone public yet. We are
going to redesign it.

--
Regards,

Oleksandr Tyshchenko