Re: [Xen-devel] Upping gcc requirement for x86

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 06:33:02PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 6:20 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Sorry, I realized this was ambiguous just a minute ago.  I meant,
> >> they're not EOL yet -- the distributions are still "active" as it
> >> were.  (As opposed to, say, RHEL / CentOS 5, which is EOL.)
> >>
> >> I think it makes sense for us as a project to try to support
> >> distributions which are still being given active support.
> >
> > Right. I think that makes sense, but does it actually work like that in
> > practice?
> >
> > Existing Xen packages aren't really going to get a newer Xen, so that's
> > out of the picture.
> >
> > What we try to achieve here is to let the users of these old distro able
> > to build newer Xen themselves. But suppose you want to build a new
> > system anyway, why stick with an old distro? Why not use a newer distro
> > release instead?
>
> Who knows why user do what they do? :-)  I'm sure there will be people
> out there who do it; if it's not a terribly large effort, I think we
> should try.  It builds good will.

They can still build Xen after we bump the requirement.

RHEL 6 has a life cycle of around 14 years. They aren't going to sit
on an ancient compiler for all those years.

There is another supported toolchain called Redhat Developer Toolset X
(current version 6 with gcc 6.2.x). It is one yum command away and
setting CC= CXX= in their build rune.

The same applies to SLES, who has newer compilers in its SDK.

Wei.