Re: [Xen-devel] [Notes for xen summit 2018 design session] Process changes: is the 6 monthly release Cadence too short, Security Process, ...

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 10:14:06AM +0000, Lars Kurth wrote:

> On 03/07/2018, 11:01, "Jan Beulich" <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>     >>> On 03.07.18 at 10:06, <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     > The GitLab discussion was really interesting. Looking at OSSTEST, it
>     > basically performs build test and integration tests on Hardware.
> Whereas all
>     > these are needed, build testing and testing of functionality that does
> not
>     > depend on hardware could be done earlier. The ghist of the GitLab
> discussion
>     > was to "move" build testing - and possibly some basic integration
> testing -
>     > to the point of submitting a patch. The basic flow is:
>     > * Someone posts a patch to the list => this will start the GitLab
> machinery
>     > * The Gitlab machinery will do build tests (and the discussion showed
> that
>     > we should be able to do this via cross compilation or compilation on a
> real
>     > system if a service such as infosifter is used - @Matt: I can't find
> the
>     > company via Google, maybe the spelling in the minutes is wrong)
>     > * This could eventually include a basic set of smoke tests that are
> system
>     > independent and could run under QEMU - Doug already uses a basic test
> where a
>     > xen host and/or VM is started
>     > * If it fails, a mail is sent in reply to the patch submission by a bot
> -
>     > that piece has been developed by Intel for QEMU and Linux and could be
>     > re-used
>     >
>     > This would free up time by reviewers and also leads to issues found
> earlier.
>     > In other words, OSSTEST would merely re-test what had been tested
> earlier and
>     > would focus on testing on real hardware. Thus, OSSTEST failures should
> become
>     > less likely. But obviously implementing such a system, even though all
> the
>     > pieces for it exist, will take some time.
>
>     But the problem is rarely with actual build issues, and much more
>     frequently with other hickups. Plus osstest re-testing what had already
>     been tested elsewhere is not going to help osstest's bandwidth. Yet with
>     now 6 stable branches regularly needing testing, bandwidth is an issue.
>
> OK, I didn't realize bandwidth is the primary issue. If it is, we can fix
> this part by throwing more HW at the problem.
> Let me have a chat with Ian when I am in the office and come up with a list
> of issues from his perspective and feed this back into the thread.

Throwing in more hardware is good, but that also bring more hardware and
(non-Xen) software related issues. We need to weight carefully pros and
cons on this.

Wei.