Re: [Xen-devel] [Notes for xen summit 2018 design session] Process changes: is the 6 monthly release Cadence too short, Security Process, ...

Sander Eikelenboom writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] [Notes for xen summit 2018 design
session] Process changes: is the 6 monthly release Cadence too short, Security
Process, ..."):
> Thursday, July 5, 2018, 5:14:39 PM, you wrote:
> > So that means that often, and at least from one test flight to the
> > next, all of the base dom0 OS needs to be copied from somewhere else
> > to the test host.  This is not currently as fast as it could be, but
> > running d-i is not massively slower than something like FAI.
>
> how about using (LVM) snapshotting (whch does COW) and drop the
> snapshots after a test ?  Only do a new OS install once a day/week
> (or point releas) and only after having an OSSTEST pass ?  That
> should have fairly little overhead.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but you seem not to have read what I
wrote above.

Leaving aside other questions about using LVM for a whole machine
including possible EFI system partition, bootloader etc., where would
the base image be for this LVM snapshot ?

If it is on the host itself then the previous test can corrupt it.
This is not theoretical: we are doing OS and hypervisor development.
Breakage is to be expected.

If it is not on the host itself, then the system is doing some kind of
network cow lvm thing.  That is not going to improve the test
reliability.  And it is unreliability which is our main problem.

Ian.