Re: [Xen-devel] automation: Creating a patchwork instance to improve pre-commit build testing

>>> # How does this impact me?
>>> The contribution workflow is *not* impacted by this change, but once up and
>>> running the following will happen once you post a patch or patch series to
>>> xen-devel:
>>> * Patchwork will take patch series from the mailing list and applies it
>>> * CI/DC testing is triggered
>>> * A test report will be sent as a mail to the patch or the series (aka the
> 00 patch of the series)
>>>
>>> This does mean though that series which do not build or show other issues,
>>> will likely not be reviewed until the tests pass. This would lessen the
>>> burden on reviewers, as they will know whether the code submitted builds on
>>> wide array of environments.
>> So how are dependencies between series intended to be dealt with? It
>> is not uncommon for someone to say "applies only on top of xyz". The
>> implication of "will likely not be reviewed until the tests pass" seems
>> unsuitable to me in such a case.
>
> 99% of submissions aren't "applies on top of xyz".
>
> Alternative, how about we see about not blocking underlying patches for
> unreasonable periods of time?

Well, I'm all for it, but I don't expect us to get there any time soon.
Just take the recent example of my indirect call patching series
depending on another series that I had submitted over 4 months ago.
Along those lines, the oldest (non-RFC) series I have in my to-be-
reviewed folder is from November - what if the author submitted
anything depending on it?

Jan