Re: [Xen-devel] Xen optimization

On Tue, 11 Dec 2018, Julien Grall wrote:
> On 11/12/2018 18:39, Stefano Stabellini wrote:

> > > I think we need the baremetal numbers to be able to compare properly the
> > > old
> > > and new vGIC.
> >
> > That might prove very hard for Andrii to do because TBM is made to run
> > on Xilinx hardware and Xen VMs only. It is probably lacking necessary
> > drivers to run on other boards natively.
>
> Really? What sort of platform specific driver do you need? Shouldn't the UART
> be sufficient?

Yes, I think the uart driver could be sufficient, but it has only the
Xilinx uart, the pl011 and the Xen emergency console. If I recall
correctly, Renesas needs a different driver. Any platform specific
initialization would also need to be added to it.

> When you speak about interrupt latency, you need to compare to baremetal.
> Otherwise it has no meaning at all. So what is your solution?

When I used it, I ran on Xilinx hardware, that was my solution :-D

Andrii would have to port a uart driver to it. Maybe the early_printk
trivial driver could be easy enough to port.