Re: [Xen-devel] Xen ARM smmu questions

Hi Jinch,

Replies inline below.

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019, Jinch wrote:
> Thank you for your reply,
> I’m just researching the implementation of the SMMU driver in Xen and dom0
> kernel.
> If my board has SMMU of arm,mmu-500, do you mean that the Xen use the stage 2
> of it and the dom0 kernel use stage1?

Yes, that is the idea, however, it is not straightforward to implement
from what I have been told. For your information, today, only stage2 in
Xen works -- stage1 cannot be used by dom0 (or anybody else) and would
be left unused.

> And if I want to passthrough some device that use SMMU to domu, how the SMMU
> working in Xen and the domu kernel?

As I mentioned, today Xen makes use of the SMMU, and nobody else in the
system can access it, not dom0, not any domUs. I would love to have a
way to export the SMMU to dom0 and/or a domU. To do that, the easiest
way would be to introduce support for a paravirtualized IOMMU as Julien
mentioned: Xen would expose a "fake" SMMU to guests, and based on its
settings, it would program the real SMMU (it could even use stage1 to do
it). The "fake" SMMU is not implemented yet.