Re: [Xen-devel] [qemu-upstream-4.11-testing test] 136184: regressions - FAIL

>>> It turns out that the first commit that fails to boot on rochester is
>>>    e202feb713 xen/cmdline: Fix buggy strncmp(s, LITERAL, ss - s) construct
>>> (even with the "eb8acba82a xen: Fix backport of .." applied)
>>
>> Now that's particularly odd a regression candidate. It doesn't
>> touch any Arm code at all (nor does the fixup commit). And the
>> common code changes don't look "risky" either; the one thing that
>> jumps out as the most likely of all the unlikely candidates would
>> seem to be the xen/common/efi/boot.c change, but if there was
>> a problem there then the EFI boot on Arm would be latently
>> broken in other ways as well. Plus, of course, you say that the
>> same change is no problem on 4.12.
>>
>> Of course the commit itself could be further "bisected" - all
>> changes other than the introduction of cmdline_strcmp() are
>> completely independent of one another.
>
> I think this is just a red-herring. The commit is probably modifying
> enough the layout of Xen that TLB conflict will appear.
>
> Anthony said backporting 00c96d7742 "xen/arm: mm: Set-up page permission
> for Xen mappings earlier on" makes staging-4.11 boots. This patch
> removes some of the potential cause of TLB conflict.
>
> I haven't suggested a backport of this patch so far, because there are
> still TLB conflict possible within the function modified. It might also
> be possible that it exposes more of TLB conflict as more work in Xen is
> needed (see my MM-PARTn series).
>
> I don't know whether backporting this patch is worth it compare to the
> risk it introduces.

Well, if you don't backport this, what's the alternative road towards a
solution here? I'm afraid the two of you will need to decide one way or
another.

In any event this sounds to me as if a similar problem could appear at
any time on any branch. Not a very nice state to be in ...

Jan