Re: [Xen-devel] Design session report: Xen on Distros

On Mon, 2019-07-15 at 14:52 +0000, Jan Beulich wrote:
> On 15.07.2019 16:42, George Dunlap wrote:
> > >
> > > Interesting. Looks like in politics that until a decision fits
> > > people
> > > they keep re-raising the point. Iirc on a prior meeting
> > > (Budapest?)
> > > we had settled on continuing with the current scheme. Were there
> > > any
> > > new arguments towards this alternative model?
> >
> > Well I don't know if there were any new arguments because I don't
> > immediately remember the old discussion.  Do we have a summary of
> > the
> > discussion in Budapest, with its conclusions, anywhere?
>
> I don't recall if suitable notes were taken back then; as indicated
> I'm not even sure which meeting it was at.
>
> > The basic idea was that:
> >
> > 1. Most distros / packagers are going to want to do an immediate
> > release
> > anyway.
> >
> > 2. Distros generally seemed to be rebasing on top of staging as
> > soon as
> > the XSA went out anyway (and ISTR this being the recommeneded
> > course of
> > action)
> >
> > So for all intents and purposes, we have something which is, in
> > fact, a
> > release; all it's missing is a signed tag and a tarball.
> >
> > Obviously there are testing implications that would need to be
> > sorted
> > out before this could become a reality.
> >
> > In any case, the ball is in the court of "VOLUNTEER" to write up a
> > concrete proposal which could be discussed.  You'll be able to
> > raise all
> > your concerns at that point if you want (although having a sketch
> > would
> > of course be helpful for whoever is writing such a proposal).
>
> Sure - I realized soon after having sent the initial reply that
> perhaps
> this was the wrong context in the first place to raise my question.

In any case, I'd like to know why it doesn't make sense for Xen to have
a point release frequently, and not have a point release after an XSA
above some severity level (pick one - high/critical/important).  As
George mentioned, distros have to do it anyway, and the upstream
project not doing it only makes it more difficult for all distros
involved.

Not sure of the politics involved though, and what can of worms this
opens.