Re: [Xen-devel] [livepatch: independ. modules v2 2/3] livepatch: Allow to override inter-modules buildid dependency

Hi Pawel,

On 20/08/2019 15:52, Wieczorkiewicz, Pawel wrote:

On 20. Aug 2019, at 16:28, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

…snip...
Yeah, since I got feedback and reviews on various patches that I have already
submitted the way I did,
I simply continue with what I have until all comments are addressed (I do not
want to lose anything).

What do you mean by "all comments are addressed"? Usually you gather a set of
comments for a series, address them and then resend the series with all of them addressed.

Yeah, but people invested time in reviews and replied to my incorrectly sent
threads, so I find it rude to ignore such comments and start a new thread
instead.

If you resend a new version in a few days with comments addressed, then most of the reviewers will be mostly likely happy :).

If I wanted to jump on the series now, I have no idea where to start, which version is the latest. It is also pretty not clear why one patch of the series is at version 3 when another is at version 2.

Keeping version separated make quite clear where we are and also allows to automatic tools to pick it up.

But if this is the recommended practice, I will obey.

Most of (if not all) the recommended guidelines are gathered on the wiki ([1]).

Then, I will re-send the patches in 2 series: livepatch-build-tools and xen
with all changes,
Reviewed-by/Acked-by and cover letters. This is the way recommended by Andrew.

Please don't send the patch one by one to check if everyone is happy. Just
resend all of them in one go once you gathered enough feedback.

Ok.

Unfortunately, it will be also quite confusing I think, because various changes
belonging to different topics,
are distributed between those 2 distinct repos.

That also happen when you have multiple patches in a series. Feature
implemented accross multiple patch needs a place to discuss. This can usually
be done in the cover letter. For multi repo series, you can steer the
discussion on a single repo and just replicate the changes in the other one
once there are an agreement.

Fine. Let me then send the 2 full series for each repo with all the changes and
corresponding cover letters.

Thank you!

Cheers,

[1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches#Review.2C_Rinse_.26_Repeat