Re: [Xen-devel] grant table size

  • To: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Durrant, Paul" <pdurrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 11:18:19 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 11:18:28 +0000
  • Ironport-sdr: eJNnfWf24kQkFxvpXXFUdfzFxU6hx5uLOJ9TLH53gD8Hyr92B2i4wjLxg692l4abx5FG3k11LK JLNczM2zPwRg==

Well, perhaps we could have a set_size gnttab op where a guest would be allowed
to call it with a value less than (or equal to) its current max, so that it can
voluntarily yield its headroom, but only a privileged guest would be allowed to
call it with an increased max value?
I'm not sure what mechanism would be best for requesting a guest reduction
though, I guess probably xenstore... something akin to balloon target pages?

A guest reduction of max is of pretty limited value though AFAICT as only
in-use frames really use any memory. The (active/shared/status) arrays could,
of course, be reduced in size but that only gets you a few bytes back.

  Paul