Re: Golang Xen packages and the golang packaging system

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 7:26 AM George Dunlap <George.Dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Apr 24, 2020, at 5:04 AM, Nick Rosbrook <rosbrookn@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> So, the following seems to work quite well actually:
> >>
> >> mkdir vendor
> >> ln -s vendor/golang.xenproject.org
> >> /usr/share/gocode/src/golang.xenproject.org
> >> echo “golang.xenproject.org/xenlight” >> vendor/modules.txt
> >> go build -mod=vendor
> >>
> >> Using the above method, (say) redctl.git would build exactly the same on
> >> Xen 4.14 as on Xen 4.15 (assuming redctl wasn’t using anything not
> >> available in 4.14).
> >>
> >> I’m inclined to say we should start with just telling people to do that,
> >> and look at doing something else if we discover that’s not suitable for
> >> some reason.
> >
> > If it's not viable to create another repo for the xenlight package, I
> > think we should should just initialize the go module, i.e. go.mod, at
> > xen.git/tools/golang. The downside is that tags cannot be independent
> > from the rest of xen.git, so users need to have `require <module
> > path>/xenlight@RELEASE-4.14.0` in their go.mod, but at least its `go
> > get`-able. And, this does not fetch the entire git tree.
> >
> > This would also mean that we actually track the generated code (which
> > isn't really a big deal IMO, it's expected that people track their
> > generated gRPC code, for example).
>
> Yes, I was playing with this yesterday and it seems to work OK.
>
> The thing I didn’t necessarily like about this was that suppose you had a
> public project that used the xenlight bindings, and you upgraded to Xen 4.15,
> but some of your users hadn’t.  If you updated this to RELEASE-4.15.0, then
> all your downstreams would stop working, even if you weren’t using any
> functionality specific to Xen 4.15.

The go.mod is really just a way of specifying dependencies. Definig a
module for xenlight does not take away the ability of downstreams to
do `go build -mod=vendor`, where their preferred version of xenlight
is vendored.

> But I suppose what that would really mean is that:
> 1) We should make sure that xenlight@RELEASE-$V works on > $V as well
> 2) Projects depending on the bindings should use the oldest version of the
> Xen bindings suitable for their use case.
>
> Both of those are probably reasonable.

I agree.

> Another issue that happens with checking in generated code is that the idl
> changes and nobody re-generates the code.  We’d probably want an osstest
> check that would refuse to push from staging -> master if re-running the code
> generator produced a different output.  (But that has its own annoyances: it
> seems that different versions of python sort things in different orders, so I
> often have to throw away spurious changes to the generated files because our
> two versions of python seem to order some things differently.)

Yeah, I have noticed that on my machine as well. I guess we could just
sort the cases by value or alphabetically before writing the switch
statements. Have you seen the re-ordering happen in other places too?

[...]

> Anyway, do you want to submit a patch adding a `go.mod` in the appropriate
> place?  I’ve always had a hard time figuring out how go.mod actually works;
> there seems to be no *manual*, only *howtos*.

Yes, I can do that. I'm going to keep tinkering with the remote import
path and module proxy so that users could still just do `import
"golang.xenproject.org/xenlight"`, but if I can't get something like
that working I'll define the module "canonically."

Thanks,
-NR