Re: Xen Coding style and clang-format

Hi,

On 16/10/2020 10:42, Anastasiia Lukianenko wrote:
Thanks for your advices, which helped me improve the checker. I
understand that there are still some disagreements about the
formatting, but as I said before, the checker cannot be very flexible
and take into account all the author's ideas.

I am not sure what you refer by "author's ideas" here. The checker should follow a coding style (Xen or a modified version): - Anything not following the coding style should be considered as invalid. - Anything not written in the coding style should be left untouched/uncommented by the checker.

I suggest using the
checker not as a mandatory check, but as an indication to the author of
possible formatting errors that he can correct or ignore.

I can understand that short term we would want to make it optional so either the coding style or the checker can be tuned. But I don't think this is an ideal situation to be in long term.

The goal of the checker is to automatically verify the coding style and get it consistent across Xen. If we make it optional or it is "unreliable", then we lose the two benefits and possibly increase the contributor frustration as the checker would say A but we need B.

Therefore, we need to make sure the checker and the coding style match. I don't have any opinions on the approach to achieve that.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall