Re: [net-next 1/2] xen-netback: add module parameter to disable ctrl-ring

On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 06:54:52PM +0100, Hsu, Chiahao wrote:

<...>

> > > Typically there should be one VM running netback on each host,
> > > and having control over what interfaces or features it exposes is also
> > > important for stability.
> > > How about we create a 'feature flags' modparam, each bits is specified for
> > > different new features?
> > At the end, it will be more granular module parameter that user still
> > will need to guess.
> I believe users always need to know any parameter or any tool's flag before
> they use it.
> For example, before user try to set/clear this ctrl_ring_enabled, they
> should already have basic knowledge about this feature,
> or else they shouldn't use it (the default value is same as before), and
> that's also why we use the 'ctrl_ring_enabled' as parameter name.

It solves only forward migration flow. Move from machine A with no
option X to machine B with option X. It doesn't work for backward
flow. Move from machine B to A back will probably break.

In your flow, you want that users will set all module parameters for
every upgrade and keep those parameters differently per-version.

Thanks