Re: Proposal for Porting Xen to Armv8-R64 - DraftA

Hi Wei,

On 25/02/2022 10:48, Wei Chen wrote:
>     Armv8-R64 can support max to 256 MPU regions. But that's just
theoretical.
>     So we don't want to define `pr_t mpu_regions[256]`, this is a memory
waste
>     in most of time. So we decided to let the user specify through a
Kconfig
>     option. `CONFIG_ARM_MPU_EL1_PROTECTION_REGIONS` default value can be
`32`,
>     it's a typical implementation on Armv8-R64. Users will recompile Xen
when
>     their platform changes. So when the MPU changes, respecifying the
MPU
>     protection regions number will not cause additional problems.

I wonder if we could probe the number of MPU regions at runtime and
dynamically allocate the memory needed to store them in arch_vcpu.

We have considered to used a pr_t mpu_regions[0] in arch_vcpu. But it seems
we will encounter some static allocated arch_vcpu problems and sizeof issue.

Does it need to be embedded in arch_vcpu? If not, then we could allocate memory outside and add a pointer in arch_vcpu.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall