Re: Need guidance to support reading GICR_TYPER (64 bit register) on Aarch32_v8r

Hi,

On 13/10/2022 16:13, Ayan Kumar Halder wrote:

On 13/10/2022 15:47, Julien Grall wrote:
.Thus, the guest need to invoke sys_read32() twice (GICR_TYPER and GICR_TYPER+4).

I don't understand how you came to this conclusion with what you wrote.

Sorry for confusion. I was trying to explain that the code does not handle 32 bit access of GICR_TYPER on arm32.

If we had implemented vreg_reg64_extract(), then Zephyr would still need to issue two 32-bit read because Xen doesn't emulate 'ldrd'.

Yes. So what we need here is not the implementation of vreg_reg64_extract() for GICR_TYPER.
Why not? Your GICR_TYPER is a 64-bit and the helper is the right way to hide whether the low/high 32-bit are accessed.

Zephyr will issue two 32 bit read access for GICR_TYPER and (GICR_TYPER + 4). So Xen needs to emulate 32 bit read for GICR_TYPER and GICR_TYPER + 4.

So, we will need to modify the Xen code as follows :-

|#ifdef AARCH32 case VREG32(GICR_TYPER_L32) : { read and return lower 32 bits of GICR_TYPER return 1; } case VREG32(GICR_TYPER_H32) : { read and return the upper 32 bits of GICR_TYPER return 1; } #else /* For AARCH64 */ case VREG64(GICR_TYPER): { do as existing; } #endif Let me know if this looks sane. I can then submit a single patch to add support for this. |

This is a bit difficult to read. So I looked at your answer on the Zephyr thread.

You will end up to duplicate code for emulating TYPER and there are quite a few other use of vreg_reg64_extract() in the code.

So I am afraid this is not an option for me. If you implement vreg_reg64_* then you will not need to implement.

I would be open to other suggestion so long we don't end up with duplication or any other kind of open-coding.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall