Re: Nullifying Recently Introduced Xen Headers Check

(Thanks Andy for the explicit cc)

On Thu, 2024-02-01 at 00:05 +0000, John L. Poole wrote:

> cause Gentoo's build to error out.  See line 24790:
>
>     5 | #error In Xen native files, include xen_native.h before other Xen
> headers
>
> at
> https://salemdata.us/xen/xen_tools_20240128_Sun_174740.script.html.
>
> What I have done is create a patch for a draft Gentoo ebuild which
> nullifies lines 4-6 by wrapping them in a comment:

That isn't what the #error told you to do, though.

 24788  In file included from ../qemu-xen/hw/xen/xen-operations.c:16:
 24789
/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/xen-tools-4.18.0/work/xen-4.18.0/tools/qemu-xen/include/hw/xen/xen_native.h:5:2:
 error: #error In Xen native files, include xen_native.h before other Xen
headers
 24790      5 | #error In Xen native files, include xen_native.h before other
Xen headers
 24791        |  ^~~~~

So it's hw/xen/xen-operations.h which is failing. As far as I can tell
(visually and empirically because it does actually build elsewhere), it
*is* doing what the #error said — it *is* including xen_native.h before
any other Xen headers.

The first four non-comment lines of xen-operations.c should look
something like this...

  #include "qemu/osdep.h"
  #include "qemu/uuid.h"
  #include "qapi/error.h"

  #include "hw/xen/xen_native.h"

So... did you patch it so it doesn't start like that any more? Or does
one of those first three files (perhaps qemu/osdep.h?) end up bringing
in the Xen interface headers in a way that I didn't anticipate and
which doesn't seem to happen elsewhere?

I didn't cite the full gcc command line from line 24787 of your log
because it's huge. Can you run a variant of that command to just give
me the *preprocessed* output (-E -dD -o xen-operations.i).