Re: [Xen-users] filesystem image of Fedora Core for Xen? / Others VM

Rik van Riel wrote:
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Paul Lee wrote:

I can contribute a CentOS3.4 image and FC4t1 (domU?) basically a rootfs "core" install with network, openssh, yum, wget and httpd. I'll get them uploaded tomorrow.

This is awesome news.

All I've added is a basic /etc/fstab, and the RH networking scripts to get started, but they work and I'm using them.

I wonder if it would make sense to have just these as a tarball
(or RPM?), so people could install the bulk of the RPMs using yum
(following http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstart)
and just unpacking your configuration package on top ?

Good idea. Following that document is exactly how I created a Centos image except I found a `Core` install was less bothersome than a `Base` install and once a core install has been carried out, just add yum, ssh etc to make the image more useable once booted.

There were a few "gotcha's" with FC4test1 IIRC correctly. Mainly the passwd and adduser commands which are fairly vital ;o) which I "think" was down to SELinux and security contexts. Setting permissive mode (/usr/sbin/setenforce 0) and/or relabling seemed to provide a fix.

I'm not sure if you can present kernel arguments in the xen config file at vm boot as you can with grub.

It would make it a little bit easier to try out other Fedora
versions, without needing to download a whole new disk image
from your site - should save some bandwidth.

FWIW I think less techie users would prefer something graphical and the ability to create working domU images from install discs either on a CD-ROM or .iso's mounted as a loopback device. Something similar to UMLbuilder for RPM based distributions.

--
Best regards

Paul