Re: [Xen-users] Xen, vmware and XP/W2K3

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Mogens Valentin <monz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 00:05:20 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:35:03 +0000

JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen) wrote:
Is it possible to run vmware for XP and W2K3 on top of an xen setup?

VMware has kernel modules that must run in ring 0 (I know of vmnet and
vmmon), so as far as I have understood it, it is not possible. See also
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-05/msg00581.html
.

Running unmodified guests is (I think) a design goal of 3.x but it will
require hardware support (Vanderbilt CPUs). See also
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2005-06/msg00494.html

Yes, I'm well aware if the ringstructure in x86, and the possibilities with Intel's Vanderbilt /AMD's Pacifica HW support.
I was too quick to ask without RTFM
Should've read about the roadmap WRT the HW virtualisetion support.

I'll have to use my testrig for running MS services within vmware until v.3 comes out.

--
Kind regards,
Mogens Valentin