Re: [Xen-users] Help creating virtual networks of domU guests

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: David Richardson <daverich04@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:25:30 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:24:11 +0000

Hey guys,
I'm still having problems getting this to work
correctly.  Maybe I should be more clear in my setup.
I only have 1 nic, eth0.  My dom0 gets its IP address
from a dhcp server on eth0.  However, the dhcp server
always gives me the same IP address based on my MAC
address.  As such, my domU guests are unable to use
this dhcp server to obtain IPs.  Therefore, what I
want to do (I think...) is to create a vpn of domU
guests that bridge to a virtual interface eth0:1 in
dom0.  Outside traffic can then be routed between the
real eth0 and the virtual eth0:1 to reach the domU
guests.  Then, I can run a dhcp server in dom0 for
eth0:1 to assign made-up addresses to the domU guests
when they boot.

I've never done anything like this before, so any help
would be great.  My first attempts have started out by
doing the following:

Create the virtual ethernet interface:
#ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0

Create a bridge in dom0, attach it to eth0:1:
#brctl addbr xen-br1
#brctl stp xen-br1 off
#brctl setfd xen-br1 0
#ip link set xen-br1 up
#brctl addif xen-br1 eth0:1

Is this even a remotely correct way of getting
started??  Thanks!

~Dave