Re: [Xen-users] Help creating virtual networks of domU guests

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005, Ernst Bachmann wrote:

> On Monday 18 July 2005 15:08, Carl Holtje ;021;vcsg6; wrote:
> > This is incorrect.. bridging is happy with eth0 and eth0:1 interfaces..
>
> Well, no. While it may accept eth0:1, it still enslaves the HW interface:

\{snip}

mmm... eating my own words.. as luck would have it, I ran into this very
issue today.. (sweet mother of irony!)..

You are correct; bridging does bind to the hardware interface, and not the
aliases.

> > my understanding is that it creating the eth0:1 inteface does just that --
> > creates a (virtual) device just the same as a real device, and loads a new
> > TCP stack.. for all intensive purposes, it's a stand-alone device..
>
> Also, from the linux kernel documentation:
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/networking/alias.txt

Ah, yes... thank you.. :)

Carl
- --

"There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary
and those that don't."