Re: [Xen-users] Xen substituting UML

> When finally the Xen will substitute the UML. I heard to speak that it
> would be from Kernel 2.6.10.

Some news sites were reporting Xen had been merged around that timeframe but
it's not entirely clear why they thought that - probably one of them got it
wrong and all the others copied them ;-)

Nobody's exactly planning to substitute Xen for UML in the mainline.  I'd say
Xen is likely to get merged into some kind of "official" kernel in the next
couple of releases (i.e. either -mm or the mainline - not sure what the plan
is).  After this point UML and Xen will coexist in the kernel for the
foreseeable future.

In preparation for this, some restructuring is being done to the Xen
architecture code to make it more palatable to the kernel developers by
maximising common code with the x86 and x86_64 architectures - this should
make maintaining the Xen code easier.  After that it'll get submitted for
merging.

Cheers,
Mark