Re: [Xen-users] xen0 under bochs

> I realise that this isn't an optimal configuration, but I have been
> trying to boot the
> Xen demo CD (2.0.6) under Bochs over Windows XP SP1.
>
> This is what happens:
>
> The Dom0 boot seems to proceed a fair way, then:
>
> (XEN) *** Serial input -> DOM0 (type 'CTRL-a' three times to switch
> input to Xen).
> (XEN) Domain 0 shutdown: rebooting machine.
>
> Can anyone give me some hints about why this might be happening or
> what I can do to get more diagnostics out of either Bochs or Xen?

It seems likely that Bochs emulation isn't sufficient to cope with the tricks
Xen uses...  You might want to look at switches to get different CPU
emulations from Bochs.  You might also want to look at a debug build of Xen
(cd xen; make clean && make debug=y; cp xen.gz /boot/).  Report a bug to the
Bochs people if it really won't work.  Finally, if you're completely stuck
you might like to try QEmu - it should boot the Bochs image happily.

Cheers,
Mark