Re: [Xen-users] Sharing filesystems between VMs.

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jean-Christophe Guillain <jcg@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:15:59 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 08:36:22 +0000

Andy Davidson writes:

Hi, folks -- I'm using xen 2.0.6 on a Debian Sarge host, and Linux 2.6.11.10-xen0. I use Xen to host a number of QA environments. I'm mounting filesystems for guest vms from files on disk. Ideally, I would like to share a single 'file' between all VMs for /usr/local and another ext3 partition, and maintain individual root and swap partitions on a per-machine basis. This doesn't seem to work presently. When I bring up the 'second' machine in the cluster, I get :
qa-host:/etc/xen/auto# xm create xm-manager
Using config file "xm-manager".
Error: Error creating domain: vbd: Segment not found: uname=file:/export/vm/vm-usrlocal

If I then shutdown the machine 'holding' this partition I can bring up the VM as normal.
qa-host:/etc/xen/auto# xm create xm-manager
Using config file "xm-manager".
Started domain VM8, console on port 9614

Is this a limitation that I can not work around ? A limitation that an upgrade or alternative method of storing the filesystem will fix ? Ideally I'd like to avoid the situation where I physically export the partitions I want to use on guest OSes over NFS .. but I am aware that it's an option which will probably work... Thanks for any ideas you guys may have ..
-a

Did you respect the syntax of the disks definitions in your config files (expecially the rw rights)?
"
DISK
Set the first entry in this list to calculate the offset of the domain's root partition, based on the domain ID. Set the second to the location of /usr if you are sharing it between domains (e.g. disk = ['phy:your_hard_drive%d,sda1,w' % (base_partition_number + vmid), 'phy:your_usr_partition,sda6,r' ] " (from the online documentation) jC
***
Jean-Christophe Guillain
jcg@xxxxxxxxxx - 06 61 52 20 76
http://www.adviseo.fr - http://www.open-sp.fr