[Xen-users] xen kernel patch

Hi,

Hope someone here can help  me.
I'm trying to compile a dom0 kernel under debian.

These are the steps I follow :

1: download debian xen kernel patch, download a 2.6.11 source tarball and unpack in xen build dir.
2 : copy the .config of my working kernel to the xen build directory.
3: make oldconfig
4: make-kpkg --added-patches xen --arch xen --config menuconfig --revision xen1 build
5: copy vmlinuz, System.map, config to /boot.
6: reboot

Fine so far.
Xen starts up, the dom0 kernel starts up, but it crashes with :
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block.

I couldn't figure it out, but now it looks like the patch switches of a lot of the kernel options that I need, like PCI/IDE support. If that's the case, then I' m curious to know the reasoning behind it. It's not like nobody uses PCI or IDE, right ?

Can anybody confirm that this is actually the case, and if so , tell me what OTHER kernel options are lost that 99% of the populus needs ? I'm sure it's for very good and clever reasons, but why can't this patch just introde the XEN specifics and leave the rest alone ?
Or is this debian-specific behaviour ? In that case I'm in the wrong list.

Many thanks,
P.

.