Re: [Xen-users] xen kernel patch

  • To: "Prof. Prlwytzkofski" <prlwytzkofski2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Yvette Chanco <yentlsoup@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 18:10:48 -0500
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 23:09:12 +0000

On 8/6/05, Prof. Prlwytzkofski <prlwytzkofski2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Hope someone here can help  me.
> I'm trying to compile a dom0 kernel under debian.
>
> These are the steps I follow :
>
> 1: download debian xen kernel patch, download a 2.6.11 source tarball
> and unpack in xen build dir.
> 2 : copy the .config of my working kernel to the xen build directory.
> 3: make oldconfig
> 4: make-kpkg --added-patches xen --arch xen --config menuconfig
> --revision xen1 build
> 5: copy vmlinuz, System.map, config to /boot.
> 6: reboot
>
> Fine so far.
> Xen starts up, the dom0 kernel starts up, but it crashes with :
> Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block.
>
> I couldn't figure it out, but now it looks like the patch switches of a
> lot of the kernel options that I need, like PCI/IDE support.
> If that's the case, then I' m curious to know the reasoning behind it.
> It's not like nobody uses PCI or IDE, right ?
>
> Can anybody confirm that this is actually the case, and if so , tell me
> what OTHER kernel options are lost that 99% of the populus needs ?
> I'm sure it's for very good and clever reasons, but why can't this patch
> just introde the XEN specifics and leave the rest alone ?
> Or is this debian-specific behaviour ? In that case I'm in the wrong list.
>
> Many thanks,
> P.

These instructions refer to 2.0.5; however they are accurate for 2.0.6
(and should be for 2.0.7, when released as a debian package):

http://www.xmlvalidation.com/xen_howto_sarge.0.html

You probably just want to review the steps listed, but the relevant
differences (from what I can tell) from the steps you took are:

 * Step 3: prepend the xen options to your current config after you
copy it to /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.11/.config
 #
CONFIG_XEN=y
CONFIG_ARCH_XEN=y
CONFIG_NO_IDLE_HZ=y
#
# XEN
#
CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y
CONFIG_XEN_PHYSDEV_ACCESS=y
CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=y
# CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND is not set
# CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND is not set
CONFIG_XEN_WRITABLE_PAGETABLES=y
CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
CONFIG_X86=y
# CONFIG_X86_64 is not set
CONFIG_HAVE_ARCH_DEV_ALLOC_SKB=y
 * Step 3: don't run make oldconfig
 * Step 4: for good measure, this seems to be the most popular version
of the make-kpkg command (w.r.t. xen) "PATCH_THE_KERNEL=YES make-kpkg
--config=menuconfig --arch=xen --revision=1
--append-to-version=-myxen0 kernel_image"
 * Step 5: As the previous should result in a debian pacakge, install
with dpkg -i kernel-package-name.deb

This isn't pertinent to your post, per se but:
You left out the changes to /boot/grub/menu.lst in the steps you took,
but it looks like you must have done that. The only other thing is,
you might need to create an initrd for the kernel (depending on the
options you selected, your hardware, the phase of the moon...l) -
something like "mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd.img-2.6.11-myxen0
2.6.11-myxen0.

Hope that helps,
-Yvette