RE: [Xen-users] Maximal RAM reservation for Linux-Dom0

Well, the Xen kernel itself will use some memory, and there may be
"holes" in the memory too (for example for ISA/BIOS space just under
1MB), so if you've got 512MB of memory in your machine, I don't expect
you to be able to give 512MB to the Dom0.

I'm not sure how much memory the Xen kernel uses, the code in the kernel
itself is about 3-400KB, 24KB of initialized data and 128KB of BSS, so a
good half a megabyte, but it will also allocate/reserve some other
memory areas, which I'm sure will amount to a fair bit more. For
instance, in the mm.c, there's a single allocation of 4MB for a
"mapcache". There are also many small allocations through xmalloc, that
build up to some amount of memory usage. How big that is, I can't really
estimate, because it's too many places to easily and quickly understand
what gets run how many times, etc.

--
Mats