Re: [Xen-users] "xm save" only works once...

Am Montag, 15. August 2005 23:29 schrieb Anthony Liguori:
> Steven Hand wrote:
> >>I am using Xen-2.0.7 on a Dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz system with 4GB of ram.
> >> I am using 2.6.11 as kernel for my domain 0. Domain 0 uses Debian Sarge
> >> with a backported Xen 2.0.7 package (only litte changes to the debian
> >> 2.0.6 package, nothing important enough to get metioned). All kernels
> >> were compiled against vanilla kernels with xen-patch. The domain U's are
> >> using 2.6.11 or 2.4.30 (debian, suse).
> >>
> >>I have no problems within domains and everything is running very
> >> smoothly, exepct one thing (which was also not working correctly in
> >> xen-2.0.6 for me): I can save a domain with "xm save <domainname>
> >> <suspendfile>" once and I can restore this domain again, but if I try a
> >> second "xm save ..." it simply seems to hang. Nothing happens and the
> >> last thing in the logs are these lines:
> >
> >Is this the same with both 2.4 and 2.6 domUs? I've noticed something
> > similar with 2.0.7 but only with 2.4 domUs ... it would be useful to know
> > if it affects 2.6 also - I'm trying to track it down.

yes, it's the same with 2.4 and 2.6 domUs...

> There's a very similiar problem in 3.0 that has to do with a race
> condition with the xc_save/Xend interaction.  xc_save thinks it has sent
> the "suspend" command over the pipe and Xend is waiting for it to arrive.

... but after some more testing I noticed another interessting thing. "xm
save" hangs if the suspend file doesn't exist. For the first time after a
dom0 reboot it's normaly no problem, but if I delete the file and try a "xm
save" again it will not work for 95%.

If I keep the save-file and then make a "xm save" and a "xm restore" it seems
to be no problem. I made 10 tests and all worked.

regards,
 --Ralph