[Xen-users] help boot ing xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jacek Aviles <ja754@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:04:19 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:43:17 +0000

Hi,

I’m still having trouble rooting xen.  I’ve tried all kinds of different
boot parameters and I got all kinds of different errors.  When I trying
the setting given in the user manual:

title           xen
kernel          /boot/xen-2.0.gz dom0_mem=131072
module  /boot/vmlinux-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/sda4 ro console=tty1

I get the following error:

Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floopy.

Someone on the mailing list said this was cause because the system can’t
find the root fs.

Then I tried “module    /boot/vmlinux-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/hda2 ro
console=tty0”.  This is where my root partition is.  But I get the error:

Kernel panic -  not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,4)

I then tried all possible permutation with the devices hdaX and sdaX and
console=tty0, tty1, ttyS0.  I’m not too solid on what these different
things mean.

Finally when I do “module       /boot/vmlinux-2.6-xen0 root=/dev/hda1 ro
console=tty0”, I get:

Warning: unable to open an initial console.

//WARNING: Currently emulating unsupported memory accesses //in /lib/tls
libraries.  The emulation is very slow.  To //ensure full performance
you should execute the following //as root: mv /lib/tls /lib/tls.disabled

This is strange because I already renamed this item.  I did a  ‘Whereis’
and a ‘Find’, and found another copy of it in /usr/bin and renamed that.
 When the error message continued, I just deleted them out of
desperation and I still get the same error.  Does anyone know what might
be cause this error even though TLS was removed?  Thank you.