Re: [Xen-users] Re: Debian: Move /lib/tls out of the way makes a lot of binaries to break

On Sunday 18 September 2005 12:59, Markus Schuster wrote:

> Would that meen one has to recompile all packages with
> -DNO_TLS_DIRECT_SEG_REFS or should it be enough to recompile libc6 with
> that parameter?
> I really hope you are able to solve that puzzle. I got the sources for
> libc6 but it really doesn't look like I expected it to do, so I pushed
> that on my ToDo list :)

-DNO_TLS_DIRECT_SEG_REFS defines a preprocessor macro, so unless the
application/library is using that macro to switch between different ASM/Code
blocks, it won't do anything.

IOW, that macro most likely only applies to glibc.

Starting with gcc-3.4 there's also an gcc switch to prevent the compiler from
generating non-xen compatible code on its own:
"-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs"

So: recompile your glibc. check if some apps still make xen complain
about /lib/tls, those are either statically linked against the previous glibc
or contain incompatible memory acesses themself, generated by inline asm or
gcc optimizations.

recompiling those apps with CFLAGS=-mno-tls-direct-seg-refs shoud fix it.

/Ernst