Re: [Xen-users] compiling custom kernel on 2.0 testing

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 23:20 -0500, Andrew D. Ball wrote:
> Those instructions have never worked for me.  I have found a way that
> works though:
>
> cd linux-2.6.12-xen0
> make ARCH=xen menuconfig # or oldconfig if you want to edit .config or
> # reuse one
> make ARCH=xen
> make ARCH=xen modules_install install

I forgot a wrinkle here.  In order to get the kernels to install
in /boot instead of /boot/boot , I need to do something like

make ARCH=xen INSTALL_PATH=/ modules_install install

instead.  This appears to be due to a design choice where the default
value of INSTALL_PATH for XenoLinux is /boot to make installing the base
xen stack in xen-unstable.hg/dist easier.  I would prefer to not have to
remember this -- perhaps the makefiles could be modified to specify the
somewhat modified INSTALL_PATH for use with xen-unstable.hg/dist
explicitly, so that users who wish to recompile XenoLinux kernels don't
have added pain.

Thanks.
Andrew