Re: next chapter in domUbuntu was:Re: [Xen-users] Xen newbie question

Michael Mey wrote:

lines 2 -6 as it was recommended in some forum - but it didn't work for me. So I decided to debootstrap me some debain domU :)

yes, I tried the debootstrap route and sat there watching in childlike wonder as it presented me with a rainbow of failures. Left me muttering something about rocket club open source projects as I am often given to doing lately.

still, I think the QEMU based methodology has merit as it has a good probability of being completely OS distribution independent and is much much faster when deploying a new domU. Major problems being extracting partitions and the warning message I described earlier.

I tried the dd and resize trick last night. It worked really really well. The primary advantage of the copy method of propagating domU is that it allows you to change filesystems to something other than what you have on your baseline image. When I created the baseline domU filesystem, I added dir_index to the mkfs specification. I've also created reiserfs / filesystems from a ext3 baseline image.

anyway, I am happier than I've been in while and now I need to migrate all of my old gentoo xen 2.0.4 domU partitions over to ubuntu domU's

---eric