[Xen-users] Re: How to recover from crashed domU?

  • To: Jordan Share <jshare@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:33:24 +0000
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 14:36:36 +0000

Vincent Hanquez wrote:
> Molle Bestefich wrote:
> > Ouch, that's a lousy choice of shortcut key.
>
> This is how telnet works since *ages*.

Your argument being that since someone screwed up ages ago in an
unrelated product, Xen should fall in line instead of doing something
that works sanely outside the US? :-)

Good point.  Screw the international users, they can get US keyboards
if they want Xen ;-).

Jordan Share wrote:
> Vincent Hanquez wrote:
> > Mark Foster wrote:
> > > I suggest '~.'
> > > It has been used to jump out of ssh and cu for quite some time.
> >
> > This is even worse. This means you cannot disconnect your xm consoles when
> > you're ssh in your xen box... because the first ssh is going to trap the
> > escapes and disconnect you.
> >
> > keyboard ----ssh---> xenbox ---xmcons---> domU
>
> You can do '~~.'  I agree that it is a pain, though.

Hmm.  Why?

> What do non US people normally use to escape from telnet?

Personally I've looked at that character sequence a couple of times,
tried to make it work, given up each time.  Finally I concluded that
it's impossible to hit it on my keyboard.

So what I've always done is switch to another virtual console
([ctrl]-alt-Fx) or use a graphically managed version of telnet (eg.
telnet in xterm or telnet in cmd on Windows).