Re: [Xen-users] Kernel with Xen and perormance?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jean-Eric Cuendet <jec@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 12:24:50 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 11:31:07 +0000

Most of the distributions will detect Athlon vs. Xeon, SMP versus UP,
large vs. small amount of memory, etc. a kernel that is tweaked for that
configuration will be installed (usually without the user having to
specify).

That's the point of my question! Why would these distrib ship the *base* kernel *with* Xen directly, so no need for reboot if you want Xen: just start the hypervisor and go!

To run a Xen kernel you must also run the Xen hypervisor.  There is
overhead but it is generally very low especially when running only a
single domain as you seem to be suggesting.

So the question: what is the penalty if we run Xen *without* the hypervisor (so without virtual machines)
-jec