Re: FW: [Xen-users] Xen 3: Functional NAT Possible?

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 01:06:14PM -0500, Jeff Utter wrote:

> Ewan Mellor wrote:

> >>my

> >>    Ok, i checked that out, and it seemed to help me figure it out a
> >>lot.
> >>It looks like the key i was missing was having dhcp=dhcp in my xend
> >>config. Now each time a vm starts up it edits my dhcpd config and sets
> >>it up for that VM and the vm gets an ip and is setup to connect to the
> >>Internet. Wonderful.
> >>
> >>    The problem still remains though, that each new VM i setup... or
> >>even if i stop a vm and start it, it ends up with a different ip. This
> >>makes the vm's pretty useless if i want to forward ports to the vms. I
> >>always specify mac id's for my vms:
> >>
> >>vif = [ 'mac=00:50:22:22:22:02']
> >>
> >>if i specify an ip aswell:
> >>
> >>vif = [ 'mac=00:50:22:22:22:02, ip=10.0.1.2']
> >>
> >>when i try to start that vm it complains something about vif 0 not being
> >>able to start
> >
> >This should work -- it does for me.  Could you find out why the vif cannot
> >start?  If you can't see anything from the logs, then please use
> >xen-bugtool,
> >which is a little application that will collate your logs in a tarball so
> >that
> >you can send them to me.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Ewan.
>
> The actual error is:
>
> [root@dom0 ~]# xm create -c mysql
> Using config file "/etc/xen/mysql".
> Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not working.
> [root@dom0 ~]#
>
> the only thing that added to the logs is:
>

> xen-hotplug.log:
>
> /etc/xen/scripts/vif-nat: line 90: (0xFFFFFFFF << (32 - )) & 0xFFFFFFFF
> : syntax error: operand expected (error token is ")) & 0xFFFFFFFF ")
> xenstore-read: couldn't read path backend/vbd/4/2050/physical-device
> xenstore-read: couldn't read path backend/vbd/4/2049/physical-device
> /etc/xen/scripts/vif-nat: line 90: (0xFFFFFFFF << (32 - )) & 0xFFFFFFFF
> : syntax error: operand expected (error token is ")) & 0xFFFFFFFF ")

This error was fixed on Dec 12, changeset 8334:b4dfb49332d2 (just after the
3.0 release).  Could you upgrade your vif-nat script and see how you get on
with that?  (You actually just have to remove the offending lines -- see

http://xenbits.xensource.com/xen-unstable.hg?cmd=changeset;node=b4dfb49332d2935860ee8ddeebdfffcaef5e800b

HTH,

Ewan.