Re: [Xen-users] Kernel with Xen and perormance?

On Mon, Jan 09 '06 at 12:24, Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:
> That's the point of my question! Why would these distrib ship the *base*
> kernel *with* Xen directly, so no need for reboot if you want Xen: just
> start the hypervisor and go!

The Hypervisor runes above (or below) the kernel (debending on how you
view the layers in the whole sytem). But to work the Xen-Kernel NEEDS
services the hypervisor provides. Without a hypervisor the xen-kernel
will not boot.

> So the question: what is the penalty if we run Xen *without* the
> hypervisor (so without virtual machines)
As it will not work at all, the palenty is infnit.
--
Goetz Bock       (c) 2006 as     blacknet.de - Munich - Germany   /"\
IT Consultant  Creative Commons  secure mobile Linux everNETting  \ /