Re: [Xen-users] Re: cow implementation

  • To: Charles Duffy <cduffy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Molle Bestefich <molle.bestefich@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 01:00:54 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 00:07:12 +0000

Charles Duffy wrote:
> > is the best performer would be very relevant when running multiple
> > instances in virtual machines!
>
> Finding out which one is actually *stable* would be interesting enough
> for me.

Ok, good point :-).

> UnionFS is not enough of a lookalike to be reliably used as a root
> filesystem: /proc/<pid>/exe links point to the underlying filesystems
> (breaking several distributions' tools for checking daemons' status);

There's that 'mount --move blah; pivot $unionfs $unionfs' trick which
should get around that.
I've had absolutely no luck getting that to work though, I'm stuck
getting -EBUSY from pivot_root :-/.

> there's funkiness with mmap;

I'm curious, which?

> and it's quite crash-prone. Granted, I'm
> trying to run a full SuSE image with Oracle on top, so I'm perhaps
> demanding more than some users might -- but in my case, UnionFS is
> simply not stable enough... yet. There's progress being made, though,
> and I'm watching the list.

Gah.
I've used it a lot with SLAX where it seemed stable, and I've just got
Xen up and running with it.  So I'm going to try it out anyway.  Can't
get any worse than LVM snapshots, so I'm hopeful.  I'll probably be
back here in a month, regretting :-).

> mini_fo looks interesting; I'll give that a try.

Cool.  I'll take a look-see too when I get the time.

I'm wondering, have you any verdict over cowloop since you do not mention that?