Re: [Xen-users] applications, winxp, pentium D

On Monday 13 February 2006 13:46, variant integrity wrote:
> Hi all, this is my first post to the list! I'm from Scotland and am
> currently living in Dublin with my Swedish girlfriend (im on holiday
> in Sweden now though) :P
>
> I'm planning a computer as a present for my girlfriend in a few
> months. She uses a couple of windows only applications unfortunatly so
> I was hoping to use windows XP ontop of linux with a pentium D.
> Unfortunatly I don't know anything about virtualisation technology at
> all and I kinda just need some reasurance that what I want to do is
> feasable!
>
> The system will be dual monitor so that XP will run on one monitor and
> hopefully share a mouse curser and keyboard with GNU/Linux. Files will
> need to be shared between the operating systems which is somthing that
> I see as being a bit of a problem.. perhaps xp and linux can both use
> a samba share (on localhost) to access the filesystem?
>
> Using the virtualisation technology of xen and the pentium D cpu I
> should be able to do these things right?
>
> If you can offer any advice or experiances that could point me in the
> right direction I would be very gratefull!
>
> Tack så mycket,
>
> Alan

Hi Alan,

as Ernst already suggested, the best solution for this scenario would be
VMWare Player. You could e.g. install a Windows within a VMWare image using
the now also free VMWare Server and later just use the player.
The video performance will be much better.

Sharing files between the two operating systems is no problem, you can access
local disks from within your VM. They're presented to your Windows guest as
network drives.

For me, this works for months now. Mostly I am working in Linux on my Laptop.
When I need e.g. Photoshop or some other Windows-only application, I just
resume my Windows VM and start working with it.

Michael
Michael Mey
Thinking Objects Software GmbH    |   mailto: michael.mey@xxxxxx
Lilienthalstrasse 2/1             |   phone: +49 711 88770-147
70825 Stuttgart-Korntal, Germany  |   fax: +49 711 88770-449