[Xen-users] applications, winxp, pentium D

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: variant integrity <mrintegrity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:46:26 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:58:29 +0000

Hi all, this is my first post to the list! I'm from Scotland and am
currently living in Dublin with my Swedish girlfriend (im on holiday
in Sweden now though) :P

I'm planning a computer as a present for my girlfriend in a few
months. She uses a couple of windows only applications unfortunatly so
I was hoping to use windows XP ontop of linux with a pentium D.
Unfortunatly I don't know anything about virtualisation technology at
all and I kinda just need some reasurance that what I want to do is
feasable!

The system will be dual monitor so that XP will run on one monitor and
hopefully share a mouse curser and keyboard with GNU/Linux. Files will
need to be shared between the operating systems which is somthing that
I see as being a bit of a problem.. perhaps xp and linux can both use
a samba share (on localhost) to access the filesystem?

Using the virtualisation technology of xen and the pentium D cpu I
should be able to do these things right?

If you can offer any advice or experiances that could point me in the
right direction I would be very gratefull!

Tack så mycket,

Alan