Re: [Xen-users] XenNetworking - Reason for NOARP on eth1/br1?

  • To: "Patrick Wolfe" <pwolfe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Nicholas Lee" <emptysands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 08:26:44 +1300
  • Cc: xen ml <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:40:00 +0000

On 21/02/06, Patrick Wolfe <pwolfe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> external network and the xenbr0 bridge.  It does not have any IP address
> associated with it, so there is no reason for it to support ARP.

Right, but if ARP is enabled will it wont cause problems?

> So, the same thing needs to occur whenever you create an internal bridge
> and attach a physical interface to it.  You disable ARP on that physical
> interface and set it's MAC address to a generic bridge MAC that isn't
> really used by IP at all.  You then put IP addresses and enable ARP on
> the domU's virtual ethernet interfaces that connect to the internal
> bridge.

Thing is a virtual ethernet device is only created for eth0 by xend.
AFAICT with the default scripts if you setup a second bridge network
with either a real physical or a dummy interface a second virtual
veth/vif is not created.

So that bit of instruction seems out of place without additional
instruction on how to create a second virtual ethernet pair to split
eth1 in a similar way to eth0 into peth and (v)eth.

Main reason I'm trying to figure this out is on my problem host, I'm
struggling with what seems to be a problem with bridging and working
correct. (See and early email.) Pings work, tcp (ssh) doesn't.  eth0
bridge works locally, eth1 bridge doesn't work locally. Only remotely.

I upgraded to 3.0.1 yesterday, and I'm sure previously eth0 bridge
didn't work locally, but now it does.  So I'm trying to make the two
bridge on the same machine exactly the same to see if I can figure out
why and what is causing the problem.

Thanks.
--
Nicholas Lee