Re: [Xen-users] Booting Xen from network

  • To: "Amitayu Das" <amitayudas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Eric Peterson" <srcfoo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:01:35 -0600
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 15:02:16 +0000

On 2/23/06, Amitayu Das <amitayudas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I had a quick question. I've few machines available in a cluster. Now, if I
want to install Xen on them, do I individually install in all of them
(one by one); or can I have on single image available over a network/SAN and
can I boot Xen from there? Are there any other smarter ways to do that?

Thanks,
Amitayu

Caveat lector, I'm assuming you are referring to the intallation of Xen domU domains as opposed to the Xen dom0 domain when you say "installing Xen on them".

It sounds like your talking about a COW implementation.  You'll find a lot about this in the recent archives. It doesn't sound like it's real reliable at the moment so a better approach may be to search the archives for "xen" and "iscsi".  There's a lot about GFS, GBND, DRBD, and other SAN technologies. I think you'll still end up installing each system to it's own partition, but you should be able to easily script your own solution or use something like Henning has suggested.

Cheers!
-Eric