Re: [Xen-users] Failure running(or is it starting?) xend

Kappler, Bernhard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are you using Ubuntu Dapper Drake, or any other system having /var/run
> mounted on a ram disk?
>
> I had the same problem yesterday...
>
> The installation of xenstore creates a directory /var/run/xenstored. When
> rebooting this directory is gone and xend fails to start up. I created a
> dirty workaround using a startup script to recreate this directory before
> xen is started.
>
> I'm using the line from the Makefile:
>
>       install -d -m0755 -p /var/run/xenstored
>
> Hope this helps! What system are you using?

I'm using Source Mage :) so it's a bit different than the standard
distribution. /var/run isn't mounted on a ramdisk, but I think the
version I've got of our initscripts simply cleaned out /var/run, not
just the files.

I've installed xen by hand using the tarball, and everything else is
managed by sorcery.

I just did a reboot and sure enough the entire /var/run directory was
wiped! So I've upgraded Source Mage's initscripts which will only remove
files not directories, and then everything will be peachy.

Thanks :)

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
  - Robert Heinlein

  - Arthur C. Clarke