Re: [Xen-users] evms-ha + Xen

Fraser Campbell <fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 03/17/2006 04:03:02 PM:

> Hi,
>
> Curious if anyone here has tried evms-ha plugins with Xen and heartbeat.
>
> My concept is to slice shared disks (SAN) into volumes and use volumes
> as VBDs for domUs.  I am hoping that EVMS can offer some assurance that
> no 2 domUs will simultaneously access a given area of disk at the same
time.

> Has anyone here attempted this or is anyone aware of fundamental flaws
> in the idea?
>
> I will certainly post HOWTOs if things work out.
>
> Thanks,
> Fraser

If you use separate volumes for the VBDs for the domUs then no two domUs
will access the same area of the disk, regardless of whether the disk space
comes from a SAN or whether you are running Linux-HA or not.

It would be helpful to know how you are using Xen and Linux-HA together.  I
can think of a couple different setups.  Are you running the domUs as
separate nodes in a cluster?  Are you running the whole physical machine as
a node in a cluster, for example, with another machine standing by as a
backup?  Some other setup?

Steve D.