[Xen-users] SuSE 10 dom0 network and console problem

Hello,

I have a problem getting the domain 0 (dom0) of xen running with
SuSE 10.

I have a SuSE 10 installation, which runs.
When I switch to the xen kernel, the network does not work any more.
Also the serial console does not work any more.

If I login to the PC through (a very lousy) KVM, I can do local
stuff, but the network does not work. (Ok, I can ping my own IP
Address.) e.g. nslookup does not work.

I can run "/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge stop" .
>From this moment on, I can access the PC with ssh.

But in this configuration, if I create a new domain, it can not have
network access.

My configuration:

Hardware:
  IBM xSeries 346 Type 8840
  Adaptec ServeRAID BIOS v7.10.20
  2x CPU Intel Xeon 3,0 GHz
  4 GB RAM
  4 SCSI disks of 36 GB

Software:
  SuSE 10.0, i386_64
  Minimal system without X11
  + C/C++ Compiler+Tools
  + Simple Webserver with Apache
  Online Update on 20. March 2006

  pm -q -a | grep xen
        xen-devel-3.0_8259-0.1
        kernel-xen-2.6.13-15.8
        xen-3.0_8259-0.1
        xen-tools-3.0_8259-0.1
        kernel-xen-nongpl-2.6.13-15.8

I tried to follow Kurt Garloff's directions for "Network
Troubelshooting", but it didn't help me much.

> > 1) choose the 'classic' way of setting up network (no 'NetworkManager'
> > as offered by Yast)

I have no idea, what is meant by this.
I always configure with static IP Addresses.
On for the Network, one for the Backup Network (RFC1918).

> > 2) put STARTMODE of ifplugd to 'onboot' (defaults to 'on connect')
>
> in /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-eth*

I did this, but it is fragile, as yast sometimes switches it back to auto.

> > 3) turn off SuSEfirewall2 or configure it properly

I turned it of in yast, but I don't know if that is sufficient.

> > 4) enable ip_forward (either by using Yast or sysctl.conf)"

fgrep IP_FORWARD /etc/sysconfig/sysctl
IP_FORWARD="yes"

About the serial console:
It works fine for normal kernels, but with xen, the best I could do,
was to get the kernel output while booting. I never got the output of
the init scripts, and I never got a login prompt.

The last lines on the serial console are:
--------------------
PCI: Transparent bridge - 0000:00:1e.0
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LP00] (IRQs *3)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LP01] (IRQs *11)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LP02] (IRQs *10)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LP03] (IRQs *5)
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LP04] (IRQs *11)
    ACPI-0125: *** Warning: Blank IRQ resource
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LP05] (IRQs) *0, disabled.
    ACPI-0125: *** Warning: Blank IRQ resource
ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LP06] (IRQ
--------------------

excerpt from /boot/grub/menu.lst:
--------------------
title Xen
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/xen-3.0.gz dom0_mem=256M com1=115200,8n1
        module /boot/vmlinuz-xen root=/dev/sda1
        module /boot/initrd-xen
  grep ttyS0 /etc/inittab
     S0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS0 xterm

Regards
Andreas Buschmann

--
* Andreas Buschmann                     Internet PoP Hannover GmbH
* Vahrenwalder Strasse 205,             D-30165 Hannover