Re: [Xen-users] hardware accelerated 3D-graphics in Win-XP-domU possible?

> Is there any way to make gaming in domU work?  It's not clear to me, if
> this can be done with open-gl or so.

For a Linux domU right now, your best bet is to use X protocol over the
virtual network (but this will be slow).  For Windows, it's not possible now
I'm afraid.

Further in the future:
* Jacob Gorm Hansen has written a paravirtualised 3d driver called "blink"
that may allow this (nb. currently for Linux / Unix guests)
* You might be able to give Linux guests access to a separate PCI graphics
card using the PCI assignment stuff

If you want Windows games, I guess you could use Wine / Cedega .... ?  Of
course if you did that, you might as well run in dom0 or on native Linux!

Further developments include efforts by some companies to develop a
virtualisation-aware 3d graphics card that'll support multiple virtual
machines, and the IOMMU work mentioned.  It'd also be possible to emulate a
full 3d card to the Windows guest, but it's not clear that'd be worth the
effort.

Sorry there's not a better answer right now :-/

HTH,
Mark

> If this is impossible now, is some development planned in this area?
> Eventually I would wait buying my next pc until the necessary cpu features
> are available.
>
> TIA, martin

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!