Re: [Xen-users] cluster filesystems

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Mark Petersen <mtp@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:31:44 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:34:18 -0700

At 01:25 PM 4/10/2006, you wrote:

OCFS2 is "just" a filesystem, it doesn't seem to be a way of distributing blockdevices via ethernet like NFS does. So what is the point in using OCFS2 in conjunction with Xen without a SAN or iSCSI or multipath infrastructure? If I understood Brock correctly he is looking for a robust and probably high-performance (and cheap) alternative to NFS (I am too...).

Have you considered drbd with gnbd? I've had lots of luck using gnbd with and without drbd, but I'm still working on making sure the secondary drbd becomes primary before gnbd starts running on the back-up server, in the case of a primary failure.

Have you considered iSCSI Target Enterprise with or without drbd? While I only recently learned of ITE, this seems like a viable option as well.