Re: [Xen-users] Basic question: Does Windows on Xen work now VT is here?

  • To: "Felix Oxley" <felix@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "David Goodlad" <dgoodlad@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:16:44 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:17:20 -0700

On 4/28/06, Felix Oxley <felix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 28 Apr 2006, at 22:26, David Goodlad wrote:

> On 4/27/06, Felix Oxley <felix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Does Windows on Xen work (out-of-the-box) now VT is here?
>
> Works fine here
>

>> I have seen posts in the mailing list saying that it does, but also
>> posts saying that it works through RDP (??).
>
> RDP == Remote Desktop Protocol: Microsoft's VNC-like protocol.  Most
> people here use it for their Windows VMs because the VNC/SDL console
> support is rather slow.

Why is it necessary to use RDP/VNC?
I (foolishly?) envisaged that one could "alt tab" between OSes.

I'm not totally sure what you mean by alt-tabbing between OSes.  If
you mean do a complete switch over to windows and have it takeover all
your devices etc, this is not possible.  If you've ever run VMWare,
Qemu, or other virtualization/emulation packages, these provide a
similar interface to what Xen will provide.

You can set up an SDL console (a window pops up on your X display)
that displays whatever would be displayed on the VM's screen.  It's a
virtualized video card framebuffer, basically.  However, it's not the
fastest in the world, so I've found that setting up RDP after Windows
is installed is the best solution...

Dave

--
Dave Goodlad