Re: [Xen-users] AMD SVN and Xen3

Hi,

Hardware: AMD Athlon64 X2-4600+ with Asus M2N-Mainboard.
After 2 days of trial and error I got the following results:
I had more or less the same (first) results some month ago with Intel Bensly-systems!

Debian "Sarge" x64: Doesn't like the new nVidia SATA-Controller (will
check today with PATA-interface)
Instead of Debian I used the Ubuntu 5.10 that accepted the SATA-HDD with the pre-compiled Xen 3.0.1-packages from Xen-source, now you can try the 6.06 with Xen 3.0.2 what should work too.

Debian "SID"/unstable x64: Installs with many problems. Virtual
Is there any reason to use the x64-version of Linux?

The systems I had where equipped with two Xeons (dual-core, AM64T, HT, VT) and 4GB of RAM so after several problems with the x64-verisons I decided to use the i386-version for testing which was much more stable.

So all in all no luck. But there is a question: Does AMD64's SVM
(Pacifica) work also when being in 32-Bit-mode? When thats the case I
Intel-VT does, I don't see any reason why AMD-SVM should not.

BTW: Finaly (that means with the latest Versions) I had very good results with SuSE Linux 10.1 and SLES 10 Beta and the integrated Xen 3.0.2 - at least on Intel-VT-systems.

Hopefully the prices for the small systems with AM2 Athlon X2-processors will fall so I'll get such a system for testing-purpose!
--

Chau y hasta luego,

Thorolf